Friday, May 21, 2010

The Story of Bottled Water

I always wondered why you can get a litre of petrol for just over $1 but when you’re buying a litre of bottled water, it would set you back around $5 or more. The scale of this is just mind boggling.. and along with that the amount of waste the bottled water industry produces could probably be the major cause of killing the planet. From the video, it is clear that most people would believe that bottled water is pure and I also abide to that.. but not anymore. It’s interesting to see how the bottled water companies have set this marketing ploy to push people to buying bottled water – it’s almost like propaganda! How they have manipulated our thoughts towards tap water, I don’t agree more than to label it propaganda. I’ve thought about it, and how much I personally buy bottled water, and just based on myself I can see stacks of empty bottles in my mind.. when Annie Leonard talked about the time she went to India to see the extent of recycling, I could quickly see the damage bottled water can cause from its disposal and being told it was going to be ‘recycled’.
I think the video, and all the other videos by Annie Leonard really show people how wasteful their lifestyle is and how this is governed by corporate decisions. Which reminds me of how Phillipe Starck talks about designing for less, there are too many things out there, we need to design for less.. I guess it would also relate to producing less waste. All in all, by designing for less, we can achieve more because we use less resources, produce less waste, use less space etc. Which is why “Less is more” is important!

No comments: